Lawn Phix (Bellingham, MA) has used specific high-quality and premium fertilizers since 2018. The main focus of this premium lawn care plan is to build soil health, and the only way to do that is to feed your lawn AND soil – something that the other local companies do not.
Our lawn care plan for Franklin, Bellingham, and the Norfolk County, MA, area uses seven annual applications of the best lawn fertilizers on the market – a mix of granular fertilizer and liquid fertilizer. And included with every lawn fertilizing application is a liquid application to boost and activate your soil’s microbes. These soil amendments are mostly organic and are absolute game-changers. Over time, these ingredients will do everything from helping soften your soil (allowing more water and minerals to penetrate the soil deeper to the grassroots) to making the fertilizer and micronutrients more available to the plant, and allowing more nutrient uptake through the roots and into the grass.
Areas we cover:
Lawn Phix will cover Bellingham, MA (02019), Franklin, MA (02038), and surrounding towns. We provide high-quality lawn fertilization for residential and commercial properties within the Norfolk County areas of Massachusetts.
- Bellingham, MA
- Franklin, MA
- Norfolk County, MA
What Sets Us Apart From The Rest?
We will target 3-4 lbs. of total Nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. annually. The main lawn food and fertilizers will contain slow-release nitrogen, soil amendments, and sulfate of potash (potassium) which is sourced from some of the purest mines in the United States. Potassium is an ingredient that boosts the all-around plant health and provides incredible stress relief qualities for the turf – particularly during the hotter months when drought, heat, fungus, and insect stresses can become unbearable.
Also added to this lawn fertilizer are sulfur (14%) and iron (6%). This high-quality fertilizer provides plenty of food and nutrients to promote healthy and lush turf while adding that “pop” of dark green that we all strive for.
What sets Lawn Phix apart from the other lawn care companies in the area are the monthly applications of humic acid (and more). While our lawn fertilizer is top-notch, only applying nitrogen fertilizers is not enough to maintain a healthy green lawn. You have to feed the soil and activate the microbes within. Building a solid base is paramount. That’s why we include a healthy dose of humic acids and organics in every application throughout the year.
- Humic Acid
- Fulvic Acid
- Sea Kelp
- L-Amino Acids
- Micronutrients (Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc)
The goal is to build a thick and healthy turf that is weed-free without added chemicals. But while your turf becomes acclimated to this amazing lawn care plan, we will apply two rounds of crabgrass and weed prevention:
- Prodiamine (Barricade) in early April to stop early germination of crabgrass in its tracks
- Dithiopyr (Dimension) in early June to prevent summer germination and help eradicate any early stages of crabgrass
These pre-emergents form a vapor barrier on the top of the soil that stops weeds from emerging through the soil. For any weeds in your lawn, we include broadcast and spot spraying to kill annual, bi-annual, and perennial weeds and less desirable grass types.
Grubs can decimate a lawn in a matter of days. Grubs are the larvae of the Japanese Beetle (June Bug). The beetles emerge from the ground between June-July and will soon after lay their eggs in your lawn. As the eggs hatch, the larvae (small grub worms) will begin eating the grassroots. It is these small white grubs that are the culprits of the destruction. As fall comes around and cooler temps prevail, the grubs will burrow deeper into the ground, become a pupa, and live in a vegetative state overwinter. When spring rolls around, the grubs (pupate) become beetles, emerge in June-July, and the lifecycle of the grubs (June Bugs) continues.
Acelepryn (Chlorantraniliprole) is the best grub prevention on the market and the only one we use to control grubs. This application is included in your annual lawn care program with Lawn Phix.
Lastly, fungus. This can often be confused with drought, heat stress, and even insect damage because there are many variables in the warm summer months. When you add the outside temperature with the humidity percentage, and if that number is at 150 or greater, that’s primetime for fungus (e.g. 80-degree day with 70% humidity). When overnight temps are 65 or warmer, the breeding ground for lawn diseases is even greater.
Another reason why Lawn Phix is the best option for your turf. We offer professional-grade fungicides and nutritional products – at both preventative and curative rates – to keep your lawn healthy and lush all season.
What Is Being Applied When?
Each lawn is unique thus each application may vary depending on your lawn’s needs. But a general guideline will look like this:
- Soil Test – customized lawn plan to address your soil’s needs
- Early Spring: hybrid-organic lawn food, crabgrass pre-emergent, liquid nutrition package with amino acids and micronutrients
- Late Spring: slow-release duration fertilizer, second crabgrass pre-emergent, weed control, grub prevention, liquid nutrition package with amino acids and micronutrients
- Early Summer: organic lawn food with soil amendments and poultry, weed control, liquid nutrition package with amino acids and micronutrients
- Late Summer: balanced fertilizer, weed control, liquid nutrition package with amino acids and micronutrients
- Mid-Fall: winter fertilizer, broadleaf weed control
Additional visits to assess surface insects, weeds, fungus and diseases. Also monthly newsletters with timely tips, things to do, and what to watch for.2024-Lawn-Phix-Turf-Nutrition-Plan
How You Can Maximize This Plan
While applying high-end products every month will surely provide amazing results and that “wow” factor, things are out of every lawn care company’s control – especially Mother Nature. If you follow these simple bullets below, your lawn will be the talk of the town (or block) within 2-3 full years of the Lawn Phix lawn care plan.
- Irrigate: Water deeply, 2-3 times per week. Aim for at least 1″ of total water in the spring and 1.5″ in the summer, including rainfall. Water early mornings (before 10:00 am) to prevent evaporation
- Mowing: Cutting your lawn correctly and frequently is critical. Aim for at least one mowing every 5-7 days. Mulch your clippings whenever possible. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the grass blade at a time (e.g. if your grass is 6″ tall, don’t cut it shorter than 4″)
- Overseeding: At the end of August and in the beginning of September, core aeration and overseeding is always a good thing. I highly recommend Pat at Mass Turf Aeration as he has the best tools for the job. He also uses premium Jonathan Green grass seed.
What we don’t do:
- Cut or mow lawns
- Core aerate or overseed (call Pat @ Mass Turf Aeration)
- Spring or fall clean-ups
What you need to do:
- Mow frequently: aim for twice per week during the peak growing season
- Mow tall: 3-4″ in height (particularly in the hot summer months)
- Irrigate your lawn: target 1 – 1.5 inches of water per week – including natural rainfall
Application dates will be emailed out before arrival. We will always do our best to meet our timelines, however, we will notify you if any delays occur due to inclement weather and possible equipment issues.
All granular fertilizers need to be watered to activate in the soil. Since our herbicide and fungicide applications may occur on the same day, we recommend watering the following day with enough rainfall or irrigation to move the product into the soil (about ½”).
With the extra soil amendments and liquid micronutrients being applied, grass will become thicker over time and growth may become more rapid. Mowing twice per week is recommended. Never cut more than ⅓ of the grass at a time in a single mowing. Mow grass tall in the summer months to prevent burnout.
This same plan has provided amazing results for me and many homeowners.
Prices are based on the existing lawn and total square footage of the area. Please call or email Mark for an estimate.