Taking care of your lawn is a full-time job, especially if you have to do everything manually. Thankfully, buying high-quality equipment like battery-powered backpack sprayers can make your life much easier.
These devices allow you to spray all kinds of products, including lawn fungicides, insecticides, and herbicides. With so many models available, it can be hard to choose the right one. Fortunately, we’ve compiled a list of the top five for your convenience.
Table of Contents
- What is a Backpack Sprayer?
- 1. Flowzone Typhoon Backpack Sprayer
- 2. Yard Mastery Backpack Sprayer
- 3. Chapin 20V Backpack Sprayer
- 4. My4Sons M4 Backpack Sprayer
- 5. Flowzone Cyclone Backpack Sprayer
- How to Choose a Battery-Powered Backpack Sprayer
- Backpack Sprayers FAQ
- Backpack Sprayers on Amazon
What is a Backpack Sprayer?
As the name implies, backpack sprayers are worn on the back with shoulder straps and sometimes a waist belt. This essential piece of lawn care equipment allows you to spray liquids – such as humic acid, micronutrients, and other soil amendments – across your lawn and landscape with ease. A battery-powered backpack sprayer works without an extension cord and outlet, making it easier to get the job done. As opposed to a manual piston pump backpack sprayer, which can get tiresome quickly for those with more than 5,000 square feet of lawn.
As we’ll see, these backpack sprayers come in various sizes and have different features and benefits. We’ll also discuss how to choose the best electric backpack sprayer so that you can make an informed decision.
1. Flowzone Typhoon Backpack Sprayer
The primary reason to buy backpack sprayers is to cut down on your lawn maintenance schedule. If you had to spread a lawn fungicide or insecticide manually, it would take forever.
The Flowzone Typhoon Backpack Sprayers is the best backpack sprayer. They are built to deliver a high-pressure flow for more efficiency. The secret is the adjustable pressure system, which ranges up to 115 psi. That’s right, 115 psi. With such a powerful pump system, this sprayer feels like a mini pressure washer when cranked all the way.
The Typhoon backpack sprayer also has five unique settings which allow you to customize your spraying power. The spray nozzle spreads liquid up to 30 feet.
The Typhoon also has great shoulder straps and a waist belt, making for great comfort.
The tank holds up to four gallons, which allows continuous spraying for longer. You can switch between the lawn to the flower bed in seconds without losing momentum.
The only knock is the three-hour battery life when used on full throttle. Otherwise, this is truly the perfect backpack sprayer.
Here is my full review of the Flowzone Typhoon 2.5.
Check the price and inventory for the Typhoon 2.5 on the Flowzone website, Amazon, and Do My Own.
2. Yard Mastery Backpack Sprayer
When looking at the top backpack sprayers, you need to pay attention to each component. Everything from the pump to the nozzle matters as it can make your job easier. This backpack sprayer from Yard Mastery is the complete package. Let’s break down the various elements it has:
- One Gallon-Per-Minute Pump – Most backpack sprayers have pumps that deliver far less liquid. The internal pressure chamber provides an extensive spray in less time. This battery backpack sprayer has two pressure settings: 40 and 90 psi.
- Tee jet Nozzles – These nozzles are the best in the industry because they aerosolize the liquid much better than other spray nozzles. So, you’ll get better distribution overall.
- Four Gallon Sprayer – If you blast your liquid at full speed with constant pressure, you’ll run dry in about four minutes. However, since you’ll rarely need that much spray, you should be able to cover your whole lawn.
I also love the leakproof cap. The handle makes it easy to tighten and loosen.
3. Chapin 20V Backpack Sprayer
If you’re wearing a battery-powered backpack sprayer for a couple of hours, you’ll get pretty tired. Fortunately, this model from Chapin has extra comfort built-in to keep you working for longer. The Chapin sprayer is also easy to clean and maintain, helping you get more from it year after year.
First, this sprayer has padded shoulder straps that won’t dig into your shoulders. The adjustable straps also ensure that almost anyone can wear the backpack with ease.
Second, this model has a wide-mouth opening for easier pouring and cleaning. A locking shut-off valve helps prevent debris and other materials from clogging the sprayer.
As far as spray tank volume, this backpack comes with four gallons, but the machine itself is lightweight so that you don’t feel it as much.
Finally, this sprayer has a chemical-resistant Santoprene seal. This way, you don’t have to replace the seal every season.
4. My4Sons M4 Backpack Sprayer
Depending on your lawn care needs, you may need an adaptable and customizable battery-powered backpack sprayer. The M4 model from My4Sons offers excellent versatility, thanks to the abundance of spray nozzles and attachments – including two spray wands. This way, you can adjust your spray patterns to suit various landscapes.
In fact, this was my first battery backpack sprayer. I upgraded from the piston pump model which I now use for weed killers only.
The battery on this backpack sprayer is also incredible, as it can last up to eight hours before needing a recharge. This battery-powered sprayer holds 4.5 gallons, you’ll need to refill a few times if you plan on working the whole day.
This is one of the best backpack sprayers for battery life. If you do spend eight hours using this professional backpack sprayer, your shoulders won’t be screaming by the end. This model has double-padded straps for all-day comfort. This may be my favorite feature on the M4.
Finally, this is a family company, so you get personalized attention if you ever need customer service and support.
5. Flowzone Cyclone Backpack Sprayer
If you want a commercial backpack sprayer, the Flowzone Typhoon is an excellent choice. However, the Cyclone is also ideal for at-home use. It isn’t quite as powerful as the Typhoon, but it gets the job done well nonetheless.
This backpack sprayer holds four gallons, and its battery lasts up to 2.5 hours. It has a pressure regulator that goes up to 60 psi and a fan spray that spreads up to 25 feet. Thick padded shoulder straps offer comfort, while battery indicator lights tell you when to recharge.
How to Choose a Battery-Powered Backpack Sprayer
We’ve seen some of the best backpack sprayers already, but how can you choose the right model for your needs? Here’s a breakdown of the elements to pay attention to the most.
- Battery Life – Look for a battery that can last a few hours at least. Realistically, you won’t be on your feet for up to eight hours, but if so, you want a battery that can keep up.
- Spray Nozzles – As we mentioned, Teejet nozzles are the best, so try to use them if possible. The type of nozzle you have will make a difference, depending on what you’re using the backpack sprayer for. Also, an adjustable nozzle can be pretty convenient.
- Spray Distance – If you’re trying to treat your whole lawn, you want a sprayer that can go the distance. Look for ones that spray up to 30 feet or more.
Backpack Sprayers FAQ
What type of application is a backpack sprayer best used for?
The best backpack sprayers are used for spraying fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides. That said, each type of chemical can corrode the various sprayer components. Ideally, you will use the same chemical every time. Otherwise, you’ll need to clean the sprayer thoroughly when you’re done.
What is the best battery-powered backpack sprayer?
The answer depends on your needs. If you have to cover a wide area, the FlowZone Typhoon is an excellent model. For home gardening, we recommend the Yard Mastery Sprayer.
Overall, you need to know what you plan to do before buying the best backpack sprayer. Otherwise, you could get a model that either can’t keep up or is too powerful for your needs.